Join TeenSafe to #FightScreenAddiction
#FightScreenAddiction is a digital campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of screen addiction in our children. Today’s children gain access to digital devices at a very young age—with long-lasting consequences.
Screen addiction can impact a child’s social development, school performance, and even their safety. But how do we protect our children when we live in a screen-obsessed culture, with smartphones glued to our fingers and edutech invading our classrooms?
That’s why TeenSafe is reaching out to bloggers like you: to start meaningful conversations about how we can balance our online and offline lives and guide our children through the modern age.
- The average 8- to 10-year old child spends nearly 8 hours a day with a various media. Older children and teenagers spend more than 11 hours per day. (NYTimes)
- Over half of 12- to 17-year old children send and receive more than 60 text messages a day. (NYTimes)
- Teenagers send an average of 34 texts a night AFTER they get in bed, contributing to sleep deprivation. (NYTimes)
- 92% of teens go online daily. 24% of those teens are online “almost constantly.” (PEW Internet Research)
- Several studies have shown that internet & gaming addictions can lead to atrophy in areas of the brain that govern executive function. (Psychology Today)
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED:
- Write an article about your screen habits, and what steps you’ve taken (or will take) to #FightScreenAddiction
- Share #FightScreenAddiction Facts on social media with your followers. See our sample social media posts and images on the following page.
SAMPLE SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS:
- Facebook: Did you know 8-10 y.o.s now spend EIGHT hours a day with various media? Join the campaign to help families #FightScreenAddiction! Visit http://www.teensafe.com/blog/fight-screen-addiction/ to learn more.
- Twitter: #DYK 8-10 yos spend EIGHT hours a day with media? Join the campaign to #FightScreenAddiction!
- Facebook: Screen addiction is an epidemic among our kids. It’s our responsibility to protect our kids. Learn what you can do to #FightScreenAddiction. Visit http://www.teensafe.com/blog/fight-screen-addiction/ to learn more.
- Twitter: Screen addition is an epidemic among our kids! Learn what you can do to #FightScreenAddiction!
- Facebook: How do you #FightScreenAddiction in your family? @TeenSafe wants to know your story! Visit http://www.teensafe.com/blog/fight-screen-addiction/ to learn more.
- Twitter: How do you #FightScreenAddiction? @TeenSafeCom wants to know!
- Facebook: Too much screentime puts kid’s social life, school work, and safety at risk! Help @TeenSafe #FightScreenAddiction. Visit http://www.teensafe.com/blog/fight-screen-addiction/ to learn more.
- Twitter: Too much screentime puts kid’s social lives, school work, and safety at risk! Help @TeenSafeCom #FightScreenAddiction.
- Select and share images from our Social Graphics Database